I’m leaving for Peru in less than a week! If you’re still looking for ways to help, consider these:
Education materials on sexual and reproductive health
( in Spanish would be the most helpful )
- educational boards of reproductive systems,
- menstrual cycle visual aids,
- pregnancy process materials,
- demo kit of birth control methods, etc.
Judy Blume’s “Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret” (in English and/or Spanish)
- This book will be used as an educational/discussion tool around menstruation for pre-teen and teen girls at Shilla primary and secondary school, and in the context of English classes. It allows for participatory discussion about menstrual popular culture with an intercultural approach and in a fun context.
- for community organic garden and school garden
English Language Learning materials
- to donate to the primary and secondary schools in Shilla
If you live in Columbus and want to donate something, let me know! I’ll pick them up from you this weekend.
and Cash, of course
Some of these are pretty specific so another option, for dwellers of Columbus or any city, is to donate money. Project needs will undoubtably arise once we are on site. Also, some things make sense to buy there, due to travel limitations, and also because learning materials obtained locally will have better cultural relevance to the learners than something we might bring over. Any donations collected will go straight to the community, not the volunteers’ expenses. So pitch in and help us boost our effectiveness.
Solpayki (thank you)!