The 5th Workshop on Innovations in Cantonese Linguistics (WICL-5) will take place on Sunday, 19 April 2020, at The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, U.S.A. The WICL conference — an event hosted every two years by different institutions in North America — focuses on new advances in Cantonese Linguistics, including innovations in methodologies, tools, and/or computing software. New approaches and research on language variation within the Cantonese (or “Yue”) subgroup of the Chinese language family, language contact phenomena, and new subfields and their interfaces are especially welcome.
- Professor Roxana Suk-Yee Fung, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Lecture title: “One country, two systems: The linguistic differences between Hong Kong Cantonese and Guangzhou Cantonese”
Professor Genevieve Leung, University of San Francisco
Lecture title: “Cantonese speakerhood in uncertain times: Some reflections on Chinese American Cantonese language and identity”
- Professor Emeritus Timothy Light, Western Michigan University
Special Panel: Addressing Varied Cantonese Learner Backgrounds
- Professor Dana Scott Bourgerie, Brigham Young University (chair)
Abstracts are invited for 20-minute presentations related to innovative research in any subfield of Cantonese linguistics and related disciplines. Submissions are limited to one (1) single-authored paper and one (1) joint-authored paper per person.
- Abstracts must be written in English and on a single page, including examples, key references, etc.
- Prepare two (2) copies of the abstract in PDF format, one containing the name(s) of author(s), affiliation(s), and e-mail address(es); and the other (for anonymous review) identified by title only.
- In the abstract submission form, please provide the following information:
- paper title
- name(s) of author(s)
- contact information (postal and email addresses)
- status (student or non-student)
- primary area(s) of linguistics addressed in the abstract (e.g., Phonetics, Phonology, Syntax, Semantics, Pragmatics, Sociolinguistics, etc.)
Abstract submission: Please fill out the online abstract submission form.
Abstract deadline: Friday, 1 November 2019, 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time – closed
Professor Marjorie K.M. Chan – Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures
Professor Zhiguo Xie – Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures
Graduate student co-chairs:
Jinwei Ye – Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures
Junyu Ruan – Department of Linguistics
Organizing committee members:
Professor Mineharu (“JJ”) Nakayama (DEALL)
Yuhong Zhu (Department of Linguistics)
Wei Zhou (DEALL)
Seo-Jin Yang (DEALL)
Skylor Gomes (EAS MA Program)
Qian Wang (DEALL)
Jingyi Chen (Department of Linguistics)
Wendy Wei (Linguistics major)
Shirley Wu (Linguistics major)
WICL logo designer: Honglin Du (都虹霖)
WICL-5 is supported by the following OSU sponsors:
East Asian Studies Center
Graduate Association of Chinese Linguistics (GACL)
Department of Linguistics
Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures
Graduate Students of East Asian Languages and Literatures (GREALL)
James H-Y. Tai Buckeye East Asian Linguistics Fund
(and more to be added)
This event is sponsored in part by a U.S. Department of Education Title VI grant for The Ohio State University East Asian Studies Center.