Montessori Conference

For my STEP Project, I traveled to Orlando, Florida to attend the 2024 Montessori Conference. During the conference, I had the opportunity to visit a Montessori school where I observed the classroom layout and its functions. I then participated in numerous workshops that not only enhanced my understanding of educational practices but also provided valuable insights applicable to future Montessori classrooms. Exploring the exhibition area was particularly enlightening as I encountered over 100 vendors showcasing Montessori equipment, tools, and supporting booths.

This experience deepened my passion for education, particularly in teaching the whole child. Traditional schools often prioritize standardization, aiming for every student to graduate with the same high school degree and identical skill sets, regardless of individual strengths or weaknesses. In contrast, Montessori schools support independence and individualized learning, inspired by Maria Montessori’s advocacy for children’s autonomy and peace-building efforts, especially among war-traumatized children. Understanding this value is fundamental in shaping my approach to education, encouraging a practical, hands-on perspective. I intend to integrate the principles learned from this conference into my future classrooms, with aspirations to become certified in Montessori education and implement its methodologies extensively.

Collaborating with my STEP advisor and faculty consultant proved invaluable, not only for the project but also for personal growth. Planning this trip independently provided me with valuable lessons in budgeting, airline and hotel booking, fostering a newfound sense of independence and confidence.

At the conference, I discovered areas of educational interest that I may pursue further, including behavior and literacy in Montessori settings. Engaging in workshops about phonics, behavior management, and math broadened my understanding and sparked new avenues of inquiry. This newfound enthusiasm for child-centered education has reshaped my career goals, steering them towards a more inclusive approach.

Engaging with practicing Montessori teachers allowed me to seek clarification on unfamiliar aspects of the Montessori classroom, honing my ability to ask insightful questions and build professional connections. This experience transformed my comprehension of Maria Montessori’s principles, elucidating their efficacy and underlying rationale.

The impact of this conference on my career trajectory is profound. It has inspired me to pursue Montessori certification, enabling me to integrate these practices into both Montessori and public school settings. Additionally, the insights gained from workshops will inform immediate changes in my teaching approach as I embark on my Student Placement in a second-grade classroom in the fall of 2024. I am eager to share my learnings with my cooperating teacher, professors, and peers.

Beyond my professional endeavors, I am committed to applying Montessori principles in my interactions with children in various settings, including schools, church, and summer programs. Like Maria Montessori, I want to advocate for children’s autonomy and skill development, fostering an environment where curiosity and independence thrive. This experience has changed the way I engage with children, emphasizing empathy, curiosity, and respect for their individual journey.