Journal: September 15 2020

A few days ago I sketched a diagram for a sculptural configuration of rocks and mirrors. It is a series of 3 platforms. Two of them are connected. One of the two connected platforms is holding the rocks, this weight allows the platform that holds a mirror to hang suspended. Directly below the suspended mirror platform will be a platform containing a configuration of broken mirror shards. The space between each mirror platform will be exactly my height. I aim to create a tension between the rocks, the sheet of mirror, and the shards of mirror. There is a tension between my memories and who I thought I was. The resolution of this tension is the reconstructed identity. This piece will probably end up being used for my senior exhibition. There are a few questions that I am still trying to answer. What connects who I was born to be with who I thought I was? Is it a found object, a symbolic form? What is the foundation that holds each identity? Is it always the same? Is it opaque or transparent? What shape or shapes does the foundation take? 

Today I went to another location. The World’s Largest Basket is exactly that. It is a 7(?) story office building shaped like a picnic basket. It was the headquarters for the Longaberger Basket Company. I used to come here with my best friend. It was a sanctuary for her. In the shadow of those huge basket handles she felt comfort during some very dark times. It helped her to love where she was. It inspired her. I love her so I grew to love the basket. Most of all I love the memories created at this iconic landmark, even though they were during some difficult times. There has been a revival of love for this building that people once said would be torn down. I firmly believe that this new interest in the basket is in large part because my best friend shared her unabashed love for it with everyone she met. It reminds me of her strength and love.