Journal: November 20 2020

(I have been working on this project for a little while now but I’m just getting around to starting the journal for it. I figured it helped so much with my last project that I might as well do it again.)

An introduction: for the concept of “dishonesty” I intend to manipulate an issue of the New York Times. I have a few to choose from. One is from March of 2020 but it is badly sun damaged. I have more current one from just after the reveal of the election results. I think that is the one I plan to use just because it is in better condition.

Formally, my plan is to take the second half of the paper and cut out words and images. Then I plan to paste those pieces into the first half of the paper, altering the stories, headlines, images, and advertisements. The reason for using one half as source material and the other as a base is so I don’t end up with an entire newspaper full of holes. I want it to appear at first like it could be an average newspaper.

I’m going to try and keep this as neat as possible so I plan to get a small plastic organizer that I can separate the cut-out words into. I will sort them by size and part of speech. Sort of reminds me of Mad Libs, I’m definitely leaning into that style of humorous approach.