New paper: Liu, L. and Miller, H.J. (2020) “Does real-time transit information reduce waiting time? An empirical analysis,” Transportation Research A, 141, 167-179.
- Public transit agencies publish real time information for use in mobile apps
- We benchmark several strategies using empirical transit system performance data.
- Overall, real time information does not outperform simply following schedule.
- Real time information can reduce waiting time for some users based on location.
- Including a time buffer improves the greedy approach used by popular apps.