Getting to Know Erin

Hi, my name is Erin McElroy and I am a first-year pre-education student and in the ACES (Advocates for Communities and Education Scholars) program. I grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio and went to Sycamore High School. Living in Cincinnati and going to a school that provided many opportunities, I was able to develop and find some of my passions. Throughout junior high and high school, I sung in a choir called the Cincinnati Children’s Choir. I was able to travel to really interesting places in the United States and around the world and develop my love for singing. I also became passionate about working with special needs students. I worked with these students both in clubs and throughout the school day in classes. In high school, I also really enjoyed volunteering and giving back which grew my interest in the scholars program at Ohio State. I have always loved school and been a hardworking and conscientious student. I have also always had a passion for math and science. Until sophomore year, I wanted to be a junior high math teacher. Now, I want to teacher 3rd or 4th grade, so I am majoring in Early Childhood Education. I plan to then get an endorsement in 4th and 5th grade while I also minor in disability studies. Throughout college so far, I have joined OSEA which is a teaching related club. Furthermore, I am a part of Pen Pals where I write to a fifth grader in Columbus City Schools every other week. I am joining a choir second semester and plan to join something to help continue my work with special needs students in the future. I am excited to continue to explore Ohio State and all that it has to offer.