“Wow, that’s different!” – Tips for Thriving in Japan

Throughout the four or so weeks that my classmates and I were exploring Japan, there were some blatant (and not so blatant) differences between Japan and the United States. Here, I would like to discuss some of them and ways to adapt and thrive within a changing environment!

Metric versus Imperial System – this is a smaller difference between the two countries, but a frustrating one at times. Whether it be height, speed, weight, or distance, each measurement is different. I always used to think in “science” terms and use the universal 2.54 cm to 1 inch for length conversion. This one is easy peasy to overcome!

Ohio State sign in tunnel

OHIO in flood tunnel.

Public Behavior – behavior in public may be the greatest difference between the US and Japan. Japan is known for its peaceful and respectful society, while Americans often praise being different and loud in the way they live. Loud and rowdy behavior is frowned upon in public places, especially trains, and it’s important to not take up more space than necessary. Walk on the left on sidewalks and stand on the left on escalators to fit in with the public. If you’re unsure of a standard or custom, do as the natives do, they will always know best!

Punctuality – as you will soon see, everything in Japan is perfectly on time. Punctuality is one of the biggest characteristics of the Japanese society, something you will need to learn to thrive. Give yourself enough time to get ready/eat/shop so you don’t inconvenience others or yourself if you are late. My professors always said that being early is on time and being on time is late, so prepare ahead of time.

Train station in Japan

Train Station at rush hour.

Public Transportation – this is one of the most advanced parts of Japan! The train and shinkansen lines are some (if not the) best in the world because of excellent engineering and punctuality of service. Because Japan’s trains are one of the main modes of transportation throughout the country, they have a constant need to be on time and operated well. Before going to Japan, I was nervous that I would not be able to understand the train system and inevitably get lost. However, I found that the train lines were all color coded and easy to follow and that trains ran very frequently, so missing one after program hours isn’t always a big deal.

Kindness – exploring a new country can be extremely nerve wracking, especially when you don’t understand the language. From the first week in Japan, I found that everyone I talked to was very kind and willing to help me, regardless of the language barrier. Most Japanese people are kind and patient with foreigners, especially when you ask for help. Google translate was a huge help during the trip so don’t be afraid to use it! Don’t take people’s help for granted either, thank them and use what they said to the fullest. You can meet some really amazing people while traveling if you only have the courage to speak up!

Wish on piece of wood at airport

My wish at Haneda Airport!

New Experiences – try absolutely everything you can get your hands on, regardless of whether you think you’ll like it or not. Traveling new places is about experiencing new things, whether it be foods, conversation, people, or adventures. My motto anytime I travel is “try everything twice” and it’s one I’ll always live by.

Best of luck and enjoy,

-Lachlan 🙂