A Journey Towards Shinto Spirituality

Throughout my visit to Japan, my professor took us on a visit to Miyajima island and a couple of Shinto shrines in Tokyo downtown. This has been one my most favorite and unique visits in Japan and was thankful that it is incorporated in to our public health curriculum. I felt very connected towards Japanese culture as it connects to my religion as a Hindu. Shintoism believes in Kami which are spirits that are connected everywhere around our environment. Kami is the god and is known to be around everywhere which includes people and materials. It is what connects all of us together in order to spread peace and harmony. This religion is very ancient and has been in Japan for generations. I could tell how ancient the temples are based on the architecture. Shinto also works with Buddhism and have similar ideas and values. It is known in Japan that a majority of religions practiced, Buddhism and Shintoism compose 90% of the religions practiced in the country. As a student, I have never seen such focus and faith in a god when observing priests in temples. Below are pictures of the famous shrines I visited. Unfortunately, I couldn’t take pictures when going inside but it was understandable.

This Buddhist temple I’ve seen is next to University of Tokyo campus and is an attraction. It had a beautiful park and zoo constructed right next to the area. I also saw a big lake with koi fish swimming.

The picture above is Miyajima island washing area. Before entering the shrine, it is important for people to cleanse our soul before seeing the god. According to the rules, I had to wash left hand first, right hand second, and rinse my mouth and palm of my hand and then proceed. There were also incense sticks I had to smell to cleanse myself. I then proceeded to the shrine and bowed twice, clapped my hand twice , send a prayer again, and then bow before I leave. I also was expected to pay yen to the donation box before leave. This is interesting as I had similar procedures when I see my god at the Hindu temple. I felt very connected as I too believe I spirits as well.

The picture above is called a Torii. People call it the gate that separates the human world and spiritual world. It is the entrance to the shrine and exit too. It was interesting how I was told by my professor to walk at the side of the gate when entering in and not in the middle as it is the road of the god. I made a couple mistakes at times but for the concept later on.

This last picture is the Asakusa shrine festival. You can see many people scattered around there and on the right side was the festival foods. They were very delicious and cheap as this month was to honor the gods. I saw a chariot of people playing their flutes and a swarm of people carrying their god and dancing around the temple. This was very eye opening for someone like me being exposed to another culture. It was one of the most memorable trips I had as a student.

From my study abroad experience had in Japan, I will miss this the most as it was peaceful and fun to meet people from different cultures and backgrounds. I never had an opportunity to do one but this made my trip. The Shinto religion is very unique and although I don’t see it around the world, it is a must see for students, tourists, and internationals working in Japan. I am glad to have lived these moments in this study abroad.