Regional Flavors of Japan: Trying Different Japanese Cuisine

One aspect of traveling I look forward to the most is trying the local cuisine. However, because I am a vegetarian, this is often challenging, which is partially why I decided to eat fish while in Japan. I was very nervous that I wouldn’t like fish, but I ended up loving it, and my culinary adventure in Japan became an unforgettable journey. I am so glad that I could experience the incredible diversity of Japanese cuisine while getting advice on where to eat and what to order from locals. From Tokyo to Hiroshima, I savored various regional flavors, trying many different types of fish for the first time and exploring the unique dishes each area had to offer.

We spent most of our time on the program in Tokyo, Japan’s bustling capital, which offers a wide variety of foods. It was here that I ate sashimi for the first time and completely fell in love with it. The freshness of the tuna and salmon slices, paired with the perfect amount of wasabi and soy sauce, created a delicate and flavorful experience that was both refreshing and savory. The texture of the fish was unlike anything I had ever tried, melting in my mouth with each bite. At the same restaurant, I tried kani miso and shrimp for the first time. This was easily one of my favorite meals over the course of the trip.

Another Tokyo street food that I tried was takoyaki. The octopus-filled dough balls were crispy on the outside yet soft on the inside, drizzled with a savory sauce and sprinkled with bonito flakes. We ate these with students from Tokyo University, who recommended putting mayonnaise on top, which added to the flavor. The rich, umami flavor of the octopus complemented the batter very well, making it a tasty meal even though I wasn’t a huge fan of the chewy texture.

The desserts we ate in Tokyo were also incredibly delicious. One of my favorites was taiyaki, a fish-shaped pastry. I chose one filled with sweet red bean paste and loved it. The warm, crispy exterior and the sweet, smooth filling made it the perfect treat. Another unique dessert we ate was “the world’s strongest matcha ice cream.” I was nervous about trying it because I thought it might be too much, but the intense bitterness of the matcha balanced the light sweetness of the ice cream perfectly. Honestly, I loved everything I ate with matcha or red bean paste.

When we went to Azabu University, one of the students and faculty recommended that we try natto, which is fermented soybeans. Natto is unique to Japan and known to be an acquired taste, so I approached it with curiosity. We got some at a local grocery store, and when we opened the container, its strong and pungent aroma spread quickly. The texture was also very sticky and slimy, but the texture was mostly savory, especially when mixed with soy sauce and mustard. I didn’t particularly like natto, but I think I would have liked it better if it had been combined with rice or a different food.

We were told that Hiroshima was famous for its oysters and Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki. When we went to Miyajima, we decided to try oysters and rushed to find a place with raw and baked ones. I never had oysters before and wasn’t sure what to expect. They were plump and juicy, and the raw ones had a rich flavor and tasted strongly of salt water. The baked ones were my favorite as they were coated in herbs and were very tender and warm. We also had Momiji Manju on Miyajima Island, which is a maple-leaf-shaped cake filled with sweet bean paste. The traditional sweet was soft and slightly chewy, with a delicate sweetness that paired perfectly with the iced matcha we had with it.

Another highlight of my trip was the Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki. This savory pancake was layered with cabbage, noodles, seasonings, and seafood, all cooked on a hot griddle and topped with tangy sauce and mayonnaise. The combination of textures and flavors was incredibly satisfying and was the perfect comfort food.

Over the course of the trip, I encountered a wide variety of seafood and fish, most of which were new to me. I tried different types of tuna and salmon, bonito, unagi, shrimp, crab, herring, and more. I also really enjoyed eating different styles of soba, udon, and ramen throughout the trip, from more traditional tororo soba to vegan ramen. Exploring the regional flavors of Japan through its diverse cuisine was eye-opening. Each dish I tried offered a glimpse into the country’s rich culinary heritage, and every bite was a step deeper into understanding and appreciating the incredible diversity of Japanese food.