OSU Meets Azabu U!

One of our first program activities was visiting Azabu University. Here, we met with faculty and students to present our projects and learn about Japanese student culture, lifestyle, cuisine, and public health issues. Our trip to Azabu University began with meeting Dr. Oui and other faculty such as the chairman and English teacher. The staff at Azabu University were all so welcoming and kind, it seemed like they were very excited to have us students from OSU visit their university. 

After the introduction of the university from the faculty, it was our turn to present our projects on different Japanese topics. My group presented about earthquakes in Japan and preparedness strategies. Other groups included topics like water quality and the aging population of Japan. We used this as a practice to share our work and receive feedback before being evaluated on the actual presentation a few days later. After the OSU students presented, we listened to the Japanese student’s poster presentations. At this time, we met students in smaller groups and I listened to many presentations from students such as Ann, Rui, and Shinosuke, who became great friends! Some of the Azabu student’s topics included “foods you may find weird but should try,” “daily life of a Japanese college student,” “Oendan; the samurai cheer boys,” and, “Japanese pets.” The students did an incredible job presenting their posters in English and it was fun to learn more about the culture through a personal connection.

After our presentations, we took a lunch break. Many of us decided to take a trip to the grocery store down the street. At this grocery store, I had Shinosuke show me around, translate, and give recommendations on foods I should try. It was amazing to go to the grocery store, pick up microwaveable meals, and warm them up in the store. One of my favorite aspects of Japan was the price and quality of food. The food was affordable, fresh, and delicious. Once we made it back from the grocery trip, we ate lunch as a large group with more Azabu students. At this time, we met Takuya, and he became a close friend with our group. He was so friendly, outgoing, and easy to talk to. He met with us many times outside of program activities to hang out with us.

During our lunch, Dr. Oui held a presentation about the aftereffects of earthquakes and how besides the immediate dangers of shaking from quakes, they can have huge public health implications. He discussed the struggles that Japanese people faced after the 2011 Tohoku earthquake, such as rotting fish, building damage, and resource scarcity. Following lunch, we toured the Life Museum which held many skeletons of various animals like anteater, dog, fish, sloth, elephant, snake, etc. At the museum, I met Yosuke and we immediately became great friends. I talked to him about biology and his life in Japan, and I asked him any questions I had. He even went to Tokyo University with us that evening. Yosuke met with our group many times and even surprised us on our visit to Hiroshima.

After we toured the museum we headed to Tokyo University to see the students we met there the previous day. Azabu University had an incredible campus and a lovely atmosphere. Our first day of visiting Azabu had me extremely excited to go back the next day.