My Journey Through Japan’s Temples and Shrines

Japan is home to many cultural treasures and is famous for its numerous temples and shrines, which stand out as gateways to the country’s rich spiritual heritage. I was so excited to visit as many different places as possible in Japan, and I couldn’t wait to learn more about their history and significance. Over the course of the program, I saw many different temples and shrines, but the Sensō-ji Temple in Asakusa, Meiji Jingu Shrine in Shibuya, and the Itsukushima Shrine in Hiroshima were my favorites.

The first Shrine I visited was the Meiji Jingu Shrine in Shibuya. It is a Shinto shrine dedicated to Emperor Meiji and Empress Shoken and is located in a beautiful park hidden away from the bustling city. Walking through the massive torii gate and along the tree-lined path to the shrine felt like stepping into a completely different part of the country. The tranquility and surroundings were truly enchanting. It was cool to see the sake barrels lining a section of the pathway as an offering to the Emperor and Empress to which the shrine is dedicated. When we arrived at the main area of the shrine, we washed our hands at the purification area before entering the shrine to make a donation and offer prayers. The serene atmosphere and beautiful natural setting made Meiji Jingu a perfect place for reflection and connecting with Japan’s spiritual heritage. Before we left, we each received a poem, or Waka, written by the Empress herself, which holds special meanings to those who receive them.

Next, we went to Sensō-ji, which is the oldest temple in Tokyo and is located in Asakusa. After one of the program days, we visited Sensō-ji and learned that the temple is dedicated to Kannon, the Buddhist goddess of mercy. As we approached the temple, we passed through the Kaminarimon, or Thunder Gate, which had a massive red lantern hanging in the center and statues of different protective deities. I enjoyed walking through the main hall, Hondo, and drawing an omikuji. The five-story pagoda was also very beautiful, and I had a lot of fun simply exploring the temple grounds. Before we left, we walked down Nakamise Street, which was lined with traditional shops selling souvenirs and snacks.

One of the last destinations of the program was the Itsukushima Shrine on Miyajima Island, near Hiroshima. It is famous for its torii gate, which usually appears to float on the water during high tide but was instead land-locked when we visited. The shrine is dedicated to the Shinto deities of the sea and storms and blends in with its natural surroundings. I enjoyed walking through the shrine’s hallways and seeing the torii gate from different angles. The whole island was a haven of natural beauty, and some of us even hiked up a trail to see the gate from a scenic viewpoint. The Itsukushima Shrine and Miyajima were definitely some of my favorite, most memorable parts of my journey.

Visiting temples and shrines in Japan was not just about admiring architectural beauty but was more about connecting with the spiritual and cultural essence of Japan. Each site I visited offered a unique experience, from the bustling energy of Sensō-ji to the tranquil elegance of Meiji Jingu, and the mystical aura of Itsukushima Shrine. As I explored these sacred spaces, I gained a deeper appreciation for Japan’s history, beliefs, and the timeless traditions that continue to shape its identity.