Miyajima Island

Visiting Miyajima Island was one of the most enjoyable experiences throughout my travels in Japan. It was about an hour away from Hiroshima, so we spent the afternoon exploring. We got to board a ferry which I’ve never done before, and it was quite refreshing and exciting. The ride offered stunning views of the Seto Inland Sea, and the anticipation built as we neared the island. Upon arrival, we were surrounded by a bunch of deer. We were advised not to touch them due to any illnesses they might have, but they were quite rowdy and would follow us, adding a playful part to our visit.

We took a short walk down to see the floating Torii gate. It was quite breathtaking. The background water was so scenic and the bright red corridors were beautiful. We also visited Itsukushima Shrine. We walked through it and also bought a few good luck charms. It was a blend of natural beauty and rich culture. I could feel the deep-rooted history and spirit. We walked a bit further close to the water just to see what could be laying on shore and saw many little creatures.

After the walk, we began to explore the island streets. We were surrounded by traditional shops and refreshments. We indulged in the best shaved ice I’ve ever had, which was a perfect way to cool down. A friend of mine also tried oysters. I’m not really a fan of seafood and was quite afraid to try it, but it looked great. I did buy a bunch of handmade crafts as gifts to bring back home. One specific souvenir that I bought was a stuffed animal of a deer. It was a cute reminder of the friendly deer we encountered and my little sister loves stuffed animals. I showed her all the pictures and she even named one.

We took a seat looking towards the water and indulged in matcha ice cream as well. Japan had the best sweets, so we had to keep indulging in them and couldn’t get enough. The combination of natural beauty, rich cultural experiences, and delicious treats made the day unforgettable. We had to be very cautious of the time and make sure to make it back on time. The ferry ride back was peaceful and full of laughter. Spending the afternoon in Miyajima Island is a day I will never forget. Nothing can top it!