Crispy Lettuce or Cabbage? (hint: it’s cabbage)

Japanese cuisine truly has something for everyone, especially in mega-cities like Tokyo! Here are some of my most and least favorites throughout our three-week study abroad trip to Japan.

Oyakodon and Miso Soup

⭐⭐⭐- good but nothing special

Oyakodon: a yummy chicken and egg bowl typically served with miso soup. The name oyakodon translates literally to “parent and child”. I found this dish during one of the many shopping sprees my friend Haruka and I took. It’s an easy introduction to Japanese cuisine that I enjoyed!

Two friends with gelato

⭐⭐⭐⭐- memorable and delicious!

Gelato: I know, I know, not exactly Japanese but still delicious, nonetheless. Our group bought this from a gorgeous little store named Venchi in Chuo, a ward in Tokyo, and the raspberry dark chocolate combo was easily the best gelato I have ever had the pleasure of trying. We found this place (like most) while wandering in one of the many shopping centers during our free time (the perks of being a little too punctual)!

Fruit Sandwich

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐- would fly to Japan for this

Fruit Sandwiches: maybe one of the most aesthetically pleasing treats in the world, and maybe one of Japan’s most famous. I was so excited to get my hands on a fruit sando during my stay. So was the rest of the country because it took me about a week and a half to finally find a 7/11 with one in stock. The one you see below is filled with strawberries, peaches, custard, and whipped cream and tasted like heaven incarnate. I would live in Japan solely for these sandwiches.

Pancake with toppings

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐- would fly to Japan for this

Japanese Pancakes: I had these on multiple occasions they were so good. Light and fluffy, yet somehow able to melt in your mouth, these pancakes are unforgettable. The first one I tried was topped with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, and custard, while the second (only a few days later I’ll admit) featured strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries over vanilla ice cream and strawberry drizzle. They were both works of art.

Kobe Beef Details

Specifics of the Wagyu

Kobe Wagyu Beef Steak

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐- this gets a 6 because my mouth will never be the same

Kobe Wagyu Beef: I have never had anything more glorious touch my tastebuds. If you have any opportunity to try Kobe beef, please do.

Tanghulu

⭐⭐⭐⭐- memorable and delicious!

Tanghulu: also known as candied strawberries, I had only ever seen these in various animes I had watched. When I found these at a street vendor in Harajuku with a friend, I knew I had to try them! Tanghulu is so yummy but make sure to bring a mouthguard for the moment your teeth break through the sugar because it can be sharp. Overall a very fun and delicious experience!

Okonomiyaki

⭐⭐⭐- good but nothing special

Okonomiyaki: while this was good for the first ten minutes I was eating it, I soon became tired of the giant mash of flavors and textures that it offered. Many of my classmates loved it, but I wasn’t a huge fan. I would only have this again once or twice but it was still a great flavor experience!