PUP Badge

This fall, I joined Partnering Up for Pets, a student organization that works to provide volunteers for the Franklin County Dog Shelter. Students usually carpool together and spend an hour or two assisting staff with tasks, for example ensuring all dogs are walked at least once a day. While there, I am required to wear a badge to signal I am a volunteer who is allowed to handle the dogs.

The badge is significant for two reasons. Firstly, it signifies my continuing commitment to volunteering. I have extensive experience with community service, including eight years managing and assisting with various programs at Saint Mark’s Episcopal Church in Upper Arlington, Ohio; a year at Tridia Hospice in Columbus, Ohio; and participation in 4 Paws 4 Ability during the fall of 2016.

It is also signifies my continuing involvement at Ohio State. I have already spent three semesters in the International Affairs Scholars Program, and have (and will) studied abroad through courses at Ohio State. I plan to use my experience with PUP to help me open doors into more ways to get involved, such as using it on resumes for other organizations or internships or asking other club members about other student organizations with similar community service opportunities in which I could become involved.