Second Year Project

As part of the second-year experience in the IA Scholars program, all members are required to complete a second-year project. I decided to complete research on rape culture in different countries, specifically their points of origin and how they differ from rape culture in the US. I specifically focused on South Korea, South Africa, the Netherlands, and Nicaragua, as well as the United States.

This project is important to me for several reasons. Firstly, it helped me figure out my major and minor. It confirmed I had an interest in international topics as well as women’s rights. Thus, it guided me down the path toward an International Studies major and a WGSS minor. Secondly, my research and resulting thirty page paper was the result of a lot of “elbow grease”. It took hours of research, several late nights, and a lot of writing and rewriting. The project symbolizes what my work ethic can bring about. Lastly, when I presented it to the first-year IA scholars and showed it to my fellow second-years, I was able to raise awareness about the persistence of rape culture and how we as an international society can bring about change.

Below, I have attached my final research paper.

Scholars Paper-19pxg8l