Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Bates, J. S., & Taylor, A. C. (forthcoming). Theory-research connections in grandparent studies: Using life course perspective to expand theory.
- Juckett, L., Bates, J. S., Taylor, A. C., & Babatunde, T. (forthcoming). Intergenerational discussions of personal health: Benefits of grandfather-grandson communication. Journal of Intergenerational Relationships.
- Yelland, E. L., & Bates, J. S. (in press). Translating policy, systems, and environmental change for use in the family context. Journal of Human Sciences and Extension.
- Bates, J. S., & Yelland, E. L. (in press). Family rules, family relationships, and the home: Reconceptualizing policy, systems, and environmental change in the family context. Journal of the National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences.
- Bates, J. S. (2018). Grillin’ with My Grandchild©: Multigenerational programming for grandfathers and grandchildren. Journal of Intergenerational Relationships, 16(3), 339-345.
- Bates, J. S., Taylor, A. C., & Stanfield, M. H. (2018). Variations in grandfathering: Characteristics of involved, passive, and disengaged grandfathers. Contemporary Social Science, 13(2), 187-202.
- Bates, J.S., Wilkinson, D.L., McCartan, J.P., Remley, D., Light, M., Crawford, D., & Dellifield, J. (2017). Strengthening families through a re-envisioned approach to fatherhood education. Journal of Extension [Online], 55(2), Article 2IAW2. Available at: https://www.joe.org/joe/2017april/iw2.php
- Bates, J. S. (2016). What’s Ketso?: A tool for researchers, educators, and practitioners. Journal of Human Sciences and Extension, 4(2), 167. http://media.wix.com/ugd/c8fe6e_d80a7b483f0a4547990c07b083882788.pdf
- Bates, J. S., Loy, P. W. (2016). Windfall wealth and shale development in Appalachian Ohio: Preliminary results. Journal of Extension [Online], 54(6) Article 6RIB9. Available at: https://joe.org/joe/2016december/rb9.php
- Bates, J. S., & Taylor, A. C. (2016). Positive affect and depressive symptoms: Does grandfather involvement matter? Journal of Intergenerational Relationships, 14(2), 93-103. doi=10.1080/15350770.2016.1160730
- Bates, J. S. (2016). Ketso: A new tool for Extension professionals. Journal of Extension [Online], 54(1) Article 1TOT6. Available at: http://www.joe.org/joe/2016february/tt6.php
- Taylor, A. C., & Bates, J. S. (2014). Activities that strengthen relational bonds between Latter-day Saint grandfathers and their adult grandchildren. Journal of Religion, Spirituality, and Aging, 26, 41-64.
- Bates, J. S., & Taylor, A. C. (2013). Grandfather involvement: Contact frequency, participation in activities, and commitment. Journal of Men’s Studies, 21, 305-322.
- Bates, J. S., & Goodsell, T. L. (2013). Male kin relationships: Grandpas, grandsons, and generativity. Marriage & Family Review, 49, 26-50.
- Bates, J. S., & Taylor, A. C. (2012). Grandfather involvement and aging men’s mental health. American Journal of Men’s Health, 6, 229-239.
- Goodsell, T. L., Bates, J. S., & Behnke, A. O. (2011). Fatherhood stories: Grandparents, grandchildren, and gender. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 28, 134-154.
- Bates, J. S. (2009). Generative grandfathering: A conceptual framework for nurturing grandchildren. Marriage & Family Review, 45, 331-352.
- Bates, J. S., & Taylor, A. C. (contracted). The impact of involvement with grandchildren on grandfathers’ mental health. In A. Buchanan & A. Rotkirch (Eds.), Grandfathers: International Perspectives. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Taylor, A. C., Baugh, E., & Bates, J. S. (2016). Grandparents raising grandchildren. In C. Shehan (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Family Studies. Sage.
- Bates, J. S., & Taylor, A. C. (2016). Grandparent-grandchild relationships. In C. Shehan (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Family Studies. Sage.
- Bates, J. S., & Taylor, A. C. (2012). Taking stock of theory in grandparent studies. In M. A. Fine & F. D. Fincham (Eds.), Handbook of family theories: A content-based approach (pp.51-70). New York, NY: Taylor & Francis/Routledge. http://www.psypress.com/books/details/9780415657228/ [Published December 6, 2012, Book copyrighted 2013]
Family Life Education Publications, Electronic Publications, and Print Media
- Bates, J. S. (2014, Jan-Mar, Winter edition). Cloverbuds and their grandparents: Bringing the generations together. Cloverbud Connections Newsletter. [Editor-reviewed] Retrieved January 8, 2014 from http://www.ohio4h.org/sites/d6-ohio4h.web/files/CBConnections/cloverbud%20-%20winter%202014.pdf
- Bates, J. S. (2013, December). Sharing traditions at holiday gatherings: Grandkids, grandparents, and everyone in between. [Peer-reviewed] Article published on OSUE FCS Live Healthy, Live Well blog at http://livehealthyosu.com/2013/12/17/sharing-traditions-at-holiday-gatherings-grandkids-grandparents-and-everyone-in-between/. Retrieved January 2014.
- Bates, J. S. (2012, December 21). Talking to your children about violence and tragedy. [Peer-reviewed] Article published on OSUE FCS Eat, Save, and Be Healthy blog at http://fcs.osu.edu/blog/. Retrieved January 2013.
- Bates, J. S. (2012, October). Families and the 2012 drought. Article published on OSUE Ohio Ag Manager, available online at http://ohioagmanager.osu.edu/newsletters/october-2012/families-and-the-2012-drought/. Retrieved December 2012. [Editor-reviewed]
- Bates, J. S. (2012, September). Families deal with the 2012 drought. Resource guide available online at http://fcs.osu.edu/resources/drought. Retrieved December 2012.
- Bates, J. S., & FCS colleagues (2012, September). Families managing the drought of 2012. [Bookmark] Distributed at Farm Science Review, Archbold, Ohio USDA meeting, OAEP Annual Conference.
- Bates, J. S. (2011, October). Do grandfathers matter? Mine did. Published on NCFR Members’ Stories website at http://www.ncfr.org/members-stories/do-grandfathers-matter-mine-did
- Bates, J. S. (2007, November). Grandparents can play a vital role in children’s lives. Family Times, Syracuse, NY.
- Bates, J. S., & Taylor, A. C. (2015). Testing a process model of the determinants of grandfathering. 17th European Conference on Developmental Psychology: Program and Abstracts. Braga, Portugal. Retrieved from http://ecdpbraga2015.com/docs/Program_and_Abstracts_31_July.pdf
- Bates, J. S., White, A., Mathews, D., Colby, S., Franzen-Castle, L., Kattelmann, K., & Olfert, M. (2014). Coming together: Family relationships and healthy food preparation. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 46(4S), 184. Published at http://www.jneb.org/article/S1499-4046%2814%2900456-4/pdf
- Bates, J. S. (2009). Generative grandfathering, commitment, and contact: How grandfathers nurture relationships with grandchildren and the relational and mental health benefits for aging men. [Dissertation] http://proquest.umi.com/pqdlink?Ver=1&Exp=08-24-2015&FMT=7&DID=1913147141&RQT=309&attempt=1&cfc=1
- Bates, J. S., & Taylor, A. C. (2008, October). Grandfathering styles: A typology of how grandfathers nurture grandchildren. The Gerontologist, 48, 613. Abstract published at the following URL: http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=1647909001&SrchMode=2&sid=2&Fmt=3&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=PQD&TS=1265052165&clientId=44583
- Taylor, A. C. & Bates, J. S. (2008, October). Grandfather involvement and relationship quality within grandfather-grandchild relationships. The Gerontologist, 48, 560-561. Abstract published at the following URL: http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=1647884491&SrchMode=2&sid=2&Fmt=3&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=PQD&TS=1265052165&clientId=44583