Research and Outreach Interests
- Generative grandfathering; Grandparent-grandchild relationships
- Mental and physical health of aging men
- Family life education program design, implementation, evaluation, and analysis
- Men in families
- Federal kinship care policies
- Big Five personality domains
Grants and Funding (funded and unfunded submissions)
- 2015 Grilling with My Grandchild [Funded – 1 year], $9000; Council on Older Adults, Delaware County, Ohio. Bates, J. S. (Principal Investigator, Project Director).
- 2013—2018 4-H Grilling and Beyond: Cultivating Healthy Fathers, Kids, and Communities [Funded – 5 years], $564,000.00; USDA, NIFA, CYFAR, Washington, DC. Bates, J. S. (Project Director, Principal Investigator), Wilkinson, D., & Light, M.
- 2014 Healthy School Buddies. [Unfunded], $32,500; OSU CARES, Office of Outreach and Engagement, OSU, Columbus, OH. Smith, L. (PI), Smith, L., & Bates, J. S.
- 2013 Grill Lab: Food Grilling to Strengthen Kids and their Families. [Unfunded], $9979; Ohio 4-H Foundation, Columbus, OH. Bates, J. S. (PI, Primary Author), Light, M., & Remley, D.
- 2013 Educational Program for Ohio Families Impacted by Sudden Wealth from Shale Payouts [Unfunded], $40,456.63; Engagement Impact Grant, Office of Outreach and Engagement, OSU, Columbus, OH. Bates, J. S. (PI, Primary Author), & Loy, P. (Co-PI)
- 2010—2011 National Grandfathers Study: Phase I; USDA Hatch Project, SDSU Ag Experiment Station Grant, $6600
- 2009—2010 National Grandfathers Study: Phase I; USDA Hatch Project, SDSU Ag Experiment Station Grant, $3600
- 2008—2009 SDSU Ag Experiment Station Grant, $3000