Ever run though the kitchen when your mom or dad or grandparent was whipping up a batch of cookies, and grab a finger-ful of raw cookie dough from the bowl? Very sugary, very smooth, maybe a chocolate chip or two – yummy. Sound like fun? But, you were always warned that the raw eggs will make you sick.
Well, beware. The New York Times Health section recently ran an article looking at disease outbreaks associated with uncooked cookie batter, and came up with an interesting suspicion – maybe the concern is not limited to raw eggs. Researchers studied packaged cookie dough, which uses pasteurized eggs, and still found that infections were occurring. The source? They suspect that flour may be the source, as it was the only raw ingredient that went into the mix.
Further research will be needed to know if this is true, but the bottom line is that if you buy food that is intended to be cooked or baked before you eat it, then you should avoid eating it raw. A simple solution, so long as you can keep your fingers out of the mixing bowl.
Stomach upset? Come in to Student Health Services, our healthcare team can help.
Roger Miller, MD (OSU Student Health Services)