Welcome to the Zhao Laboratory-WBG / UWBG Semiconductors, Electronic, Optoelectronics and Energy
The OSU MOCVD wide band gap (WBG) and ultra wide band gap (UWBG) Semiconductors, Electronics, Optoelectronics and Energy Laboratory is led by Prof. Hongping Zhao.
Our research focuses on the investigation of the growth and physics of WBG and UWBG semiconductor electronic and optoelectronic materials and devices, metalorganic chemical vapor deposition (MOCVD) of III-nitride and II-IV-nitride semiconductor thin films and devices, low pressure chemical vapor deposition (LPCVD) of Gallium Oxide thin films, the physics of low-dimensional semiconductor nano-materials/devices, chemical vapor deposition (CVD) of novel nanomaterials, and device design / fabrication of novel devices with new functionality.
Fundamental knowledge from quantum mechanics, quantum electronics / optics, solid state physics, semiconductor physics, and electromagnetics will be used to solve problems related to semiconductor, electronics, optoelectronics and energy.
- May 2018
- Our collaborative paper with Prof. Brillson’s group “Optical Signatures of Deep Level Defects in Ga2O3” was accepted for publication at Applied Physics Letters
- Prof. Zhao gave a talk “LPCVD of β-Ga2O3 and In2O3” (Cross Cutting Session: Energy Conversion and Storage) at the 2018 OSU Materials Week
- Apr. 2018
- Our paper “ZnO Nanowall Networks for Sensor Devices: From Hydrothermal Synthesis to Device Demonstration” was published at ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology
- Feb. 2018
- Our collaborative paper with Dr. Selim Elhadj’s team (Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory) “Lifetime laser damage performance of β-Ga2O3 for high power applications” was accepted for publication at APL Materials
- Editor’s Picks and Featured Articles at APL Materials
- Jan. 2018
- Our collaborative paper with Prof. Lussem’s group (Kent State U.) “Tuning charge carrier transport and optical birefringence in liquid-crystalline thin films: A new design space for organic light-emitting diodes” was accepted for publication at Scientific Reports
- Our paper “LPCVD Homoepitaxy of Si Doped β-Ga2O3 Thin Films on (010) and (001) Substrates” was accepted for publication at Applied Physics Letters
- Our collaborative paper with Prof. Rajan’s group “LPCVD grown β-Ga2O3 Bevel Field-plated Schottky Barrier Diodes” was accepted for publication at APEX
- Dec. 2017 Congratulations to Subrina Rafique for her successful Ph.D. dissertation defense! Subrina will join Intel.
- Nov. 2017 Our collaborative paper with Prof. Feng’s group (CWRU) “Free-Standing β-Ga2O3 Thin Diaphragms” was accepted for publication at Journal of Electronic Materials
- Nov. 2017 Our collaborative paper with Prof. Feng’s group (CWRU) “Ultra-Wide-Bandgap β-Ga2O3 Nanomechanical Resonators with Spatially Visualized Multimode Motion” was accepted for publication at ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces
- Nov. 2017 Our paper “Towards High-Mobility Heteroepitaxial β-Ga2O3 on Sapphire – Dependence of the Substrate off-axis Angle” was accepted for publication at Phys. Status Solidi A
- Oct. 2017 Prof. Zhao was appointed as an associate editor for Applied Physics Letters
- Oct. 2017 Prof. Zhao gave an invited talk at the 232th ECS Meeting, National Harbor, Maryland
- Oct. 2017 Our group’s lab space in Caldwell Lab 307/311 finished renovation. Ready to move in!
- Sep. 2017 Prof. Zhao gave a Physics Department Seminar at Purdue University
- Sep. 2017 Dual-chamber MOCVD system was delivered to OSU Nanotech West Laboratory
- Aug. 2017 Our research group moved to OSU
- Jul. 2017 Our group’s first Ph.D. graduate Dr. Lu Han joined Intel