On the Fence

On our last leg of the trip, we visited Berlin, Germany. I was excited to come here and see the war from the other side’s point of view. After visiting multiple sites, like the German Historical Museum and the Topography of Terror, I had mixed feelings about Germany’s presentation of the war. In both museums, Germany definitely owned up to the atrocities they committed, and did not attempt to gloss over the gory details. However, while many of my classmates were very impressed by this show of humility, I am on the fence—or should I say wall. Obviously Germany has to be honest about what happened during the war—when the entire world is watching you there’s very little wiggle room. Additionally, I would expect that Germany be honest as a bare minimum. What I personally thought was lacking was any explanation or emotion surrounding how the entire nation came together under the Third Reich and supported Hitler and his policies. The museums were very matter-of-fact in their presentation of data, and I felt like there was a piece of the story missing; they were clear about the “what” but not necessarily the “how” or “why”.

The other sites we visited, including the Reichstag and the Wannsee House, I was more impressed. Our tour guide at the Reichstag was very informative about Germany’s new government and all of the ways they have made their government transparent—even the building is completely see through—and divided power to prevent any dictators. At the Wannsee House, which was on a very scenic lake, there was more emotion and direct quotes from people who suffered in the Holocaust and other Germans who lived while Hitler was in power. This was my favorite exhibit, because I think it tried the most to understand  and explain what happened leading up to and during the war, rather than just stating facts and events. Although, the Holocaust exhibit at the British Imperial War Museum is by far the best I have seen, which is slightly disappointing on Germany’s part, considering they were the most involved. Overall, it was very interesting to see how Germany’s war history lines up with my American knowledge.

Some other sites we visited were the Olympic Stadium and the Memorial to the Murdered Jews in Europe. I really enjoyed both of these—and not just because I needed a break from museums! The Olympic Stadium was really cool to see, especially since former Buckeye Jesse Owens raced there. Furthermore, the Memorial to the Murdered Jews in Europe was my favorite memorial I have visited on this trip. The various sized blocks and uneven ground makes a sort of maze, and when you walk through alone it is supposed to symbolize people during the Holocaust; you never know where you’re going, who you’ll see, or never see again. It is a powerful experience and very unique and well-done memorial.

Memorial to the Murdered Jews in Europe

View from Reichstag