“#Disappointed”

The first week and a half of action for Earth Month has gone pretty well.  The first week I used my social media to spread awareness about slaughterhouses.  I posted a photo of my some facts I had written down including things like “the beaks of chicken are often removed to reduce the excessive feather pecking and cannibalism seen among stressed, overcrowded birds” and “hogs, chicken, and cattle waste has polluted 35,000 miles of rivers in 22 states and contaminated groundwater in 17 states.”  I also included my Earth Month Action Plan as well as other small ways for people to make a difference.  Finally, I posted a video of some undercover footage of slaughterhouses.  I was a little nervous to do this because it is unlike me to post about controversial or political things.  I know that a lot of people get annoyed with vegans who post about their lifestyle.  The only problem that I faced with this was that my friend’s dad replied back with some negative words including “#disappointed.” ):  I realize now why nothing political is getting down about our environmental issues- a lot of people are still against these ideas.

This week I am eating vegetarian dinners and it has gone well so far.  I am usually just eating quick microwaveable meals so it is easy to stay away from meat, especially when I can still eat some for lunch if I need.  I have realized that I really am capable of going vegetarian or vegan, if I take it slow.  For the final two weeks I will be doing vegan lunches, and no meat all week.  I am more nervous for this because it will be more challenging to find vegan options.  It will also be important for me to make sure I am getting protein in other ways.  I think it will be a really good thing for me to see what it would be like to be a vegan, though.  Also, even a week without meat will save so many animals.  I think it is important for me to talk the talk AND walk the walk.