Student Spotlight: Joling Hsiang

Hometown: Piqua, OhioJoling
Majors: Psychology and English
Favorite LC Event: Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center Tour

Hello! My name is Joling Hsiang, and I’m a first-year student double majoring in Psychology and English. Yes, you read right! Although I’m not majoring in an environmental field, I’m very grateful for the opportunity to develop my sustainability interests. I applied to the SUSTAINS Learning Community because I wanted to be involved in a smaller group of people and develop deeper relationships with fewer individuals (something that can be difficult at such an enormous university). Since I’ve always loved and appreciated nature, I didn’t see a reason not to apply…and I’m glad I did!

People in SUSTAINS are unique because they envision and advocate for a cause that is beyond themselves. I find this group to be admirable because we are conscientious individuals who strive to remain moral while we contemplate innovative ways to benefit our communities and future generations. Even if my future career does not directly involve sustainability, I have discovered that sustainability is an important way of living that can be incorporated into numerous aspects of life.

The SUSTAINS learning community offers a multitude of opportunities to have fun while learning about the environment. My favorite event was touring the Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center at Ohio State, where world-renowned research about the Earth’s climate is being completed. It was incredible to see how extracted ice and rocks from various regions of the world can tell researchers about the past and predict the future. In addition to these wonderful activities, SUSTAINS has amazing, passionate leaders who truly care for each individual’s growth. It’s definitely worthwhile to apply to be a part of this incredible community. Not only is SUSTAINS a great opportunity to network, you’ll be given the chance to learn and experience contemporary and valuable ideas. You’ll never know until you apply; SUSTAINS might spark an interest you never thought you had.