Student Spotlight: Selina Wang

Hometown: Xi’an, ChinaSelina
Major: Accounting
Favorite LC Event: Zero Waste Tailgate

My name is Selina Wang, and I am an international student from China. I’m currently a first-year accounting major. At first I thought SUSTAINS was solely an academic group, but I have since discovered it is so much more than what I initially expected. In additional to learning about sustainability around campus, SUSTAINS also helps you develop your networking skills and we have many educational and social events in and outside of Columbus, Ohio. From my perspective, this is the best part because it creates an opportunity to be involved in our local community. One of my favorite events was the Zero Waste Tailgate, an event where students teach the people tailgating at an OSU football game what can and can’t be recycled. My favorite part of this specific SUSTAINS event was learning how to start a conversation with people about recycling and sustainability, and seeing how appreciative everyone was of our efforts – some people even shared their food with us! It was a great opportunity to talk to many people and help spread the word about sustainability!

For an international student like me, I was really afraid to talk at the beginning of this semester since English is not my first language. However, every time I walk into my residence hall now, I know people and know that I have the support of the SUSTAINS community. That means so much to me and has made such a difference in my experience as a student at OSU.