This past summer, I worked in the Zhu Lab in the Department of Pathology to complete my STEP Signature Project. Alongside a graduate student, I researched how FDA approved drugs can be repurposed to treat HIV. Some of experiments I conducted include RNA extraction, RT-qPCR, western blot sample preparation and analysis, plasmid cloning, and transformation. 

Through the completion of my STEP Signature Project, my understanding of myself and some of the assumptions I held underwent a significant transformation. Before completing my project, I had no idea just how capable I was of creating a schedule and sticking to it. Moreover, I assumed that I would not be able to fully grasp all of the information I encountered during my day to day at the lab. Over time, however, I was able to pick up what each step meant for my project and how they were all connected. I also experienced a few experimental failures and had to change the direction of the project, but I was able to persevere until the experiments were completed successfully. 

As I mentioned above, one of the most transformative experiences over my summer came when my initial research project—how methyltransferases might affect HIV regulation

—provided inconclusive results. Moreover, this meant that the project had no reason to continue. Though this was initially disheartening, I learned a very valuable lesson. Through this, I learned that failure is inherent in scientific research and that it can even be considered an important step in the scientific process. Yes, it is frustrating, but I am now better equipped to handle the redirections of scientific research. I was very fortunate in this instance because my PI, Dr. Zhu, had another project in mind—the repurposing of FDA approved drugs to treat HIV. 

I would also like to touch on how different being involved in undergraduate research is during the summer than during the school year. I was able to create time away from my research for myself—time that I could spend with friends and family while not having any other commitments or assignments. During this school year, making time for myself is more difficult as I have to balance classes, research, and other extra curricular activities. I view this as a transformative experience because I learned that maybe I could enjoy a career that has more of a 9-5 schedule. This realization has given me a valuable perspective on the importance of work-life balance and how it can shape my future career choices.

One final event and interaction that was valuable to my life centered around planning and executing experiments as well as interpreting data. By helping design experiments and execute them, I was given the opportunity to see just how intricate the experimental process is. I also learned how to reroute my thinking when experiments either failed or did not work as I expected them to. Before this project, I did not entirely trust my skills in evaluating data, but now I believe my ability to do so has improved. This will help me significantly in the years to come. 

I would say that overall, this transformation has had a significant impact on my life. I am planning on applying to microbiology and immunology graduate programs this semester. One day, I would like to be a professor. My experiences during my signature project, have given me valuable insights into the world of academic research, as well as some insight into how I might want my career to play out. Originally, I wanted to go right into academia after graduate school, but now I am more open to the idea of taking some time to maybe work in industry which would have a more balanced schedule.