Undergraduate Research in the MEND Lab: Schwartz STEP Reflection

1. Desiring to continue my investigation into neurodegenerative diseases that I began in the summer of 2022, I pursued work in the MEND Lab. The two studies I am involved with center around helping patients with Huntington’s Disease. The clinical format of the lab allows me to have valuable hands-on interaction with patients. Being responsible for leading appointments, performing movement assessments, and collecting and analyzing data, working with patients suffering from HD has broadened my experience with neurodegenerative disorders. My STEP Fellowship granted me the invaluable opportunity to continue exploring these areas and expand my competencies over this past summer.

2. Despite a previous skepticism about the value of research, my time in the MEND Lab has fully changed my perspective about its importance and medical significance. As an aspiring medical student, I knew that I eventually had to participate in research for my application. I genuinely was not looking forward to getting involved after hearing my friends’ experiences with research. Without realizing they had all been participating in basic science research, I assumed all opportunities to work in a lab would feel like an organic chemistry lab (which I did not enjoy). As I began to learn more during my junior year, I began to hear of different research opportunities that expanded beyond a lab bench. I found the MEND Lab, took great interest in their previous work, and quickly got involved. My experiences that semester and this past summer has completely transformed my viewpoints on research. I now recognize the multi-faceted nature of research, where beyond basic science research there is numerous projects and involvements that are greatly interesting to me.

3. My relationship with my lab PI, Dr. Deb Kegelmeyer, has been fundamental in terms of my personal growth over the course of my STEP Signature Project. Her leadership and guidance have been pivotal over the course of the past year, especially over the summer as I took on an expanded role in the lab. She helped design an independent project for me over the summer that I began collecting and drawing data for, which has furthered my growth in research competencies.

Beyond our professional relationship, my personal relationship with Dr. Kegelmeyer has been extremely important to my growth as a person and aspiring medical student. Having built a strong rapport, we work extremely well together in the lab. More than just a good partner in the lab, Dr. Kegelmeyer has been a tremendous ally for me in my professional endeavors. She wrote me a letter of recommendation for my medical school application, which I have submitted for this upcoming cycle (Autumn 2024). Her favorable review of me should prove important for my hopeful matriculation this coming year.

In addition, my experiences working in the lab have themselves served to foster personal growth in my life. As previously alluded to, the clinical nature of the MEND Lab has opened my eyes to the significance of research from multiple directions, and has no doubt expanded my competencies as an aspiring medical student and person. During my time in the lab, I have cultivated a greater understanding of not only Huntington’s Disease and how it affects the lives of its patients, but also how to better interact with patients from a clinical standpoint. Without STEP’s involvement for me to participate this summer, I feel strongly that I would’ve missed out on these important developments.

4. In respect to my future aspirations, this growth will make a significant difference in my life plans. As my acute goal is to matriculate into medical school this upcoming school year in Au24, my hard work in the MEND Lab has translated to an elevated level of preparedness to make my dreams a reality. The personal relationships and growth I’ve experienced and developed have made not only my application stronger, but also my competencies and backbone as a prospective candidate.

As my long term goals include pursuing a career in primary care, having developed holistic competencies in respect to a variety of conditions, patients, and facets of healthcare will prove essential to the future care I desire to provide. I am extremely grateful for STEP’s contribution for me to continuously develop myself and these competencies, and I look forward to making the program and university proud in my future career.