Study Abroad in Salzburg

1. Please provide a brief description of your STEP Signature Project. Write two or three sentences describing the main activities your STEP Signature Project entailed.

For my step project I studied abroad in Salzburg, Austria. It was truly an amazing experience in which, I learned a lot about the language, culture, and history. I was able to broaden my horizons and really grow as a person.

1. What about your understanding of yourself, your assumptions, or your view of the world changed/transformed while completing your STEP Signature Project? Write one or two paragraphs to describe the change or transformation that took place.

My understanding of myself and my world view changed drastically over my time in Austria. One way that I transformed personally was that I learned how to be a lot more self-sufficient and confident. Living in a new country where they don’t speak the same language can be very scary. I was able to successfully navigate the country as well as the surrounding areas due to my new-found ability to live on my own and be confident while doing it. I also transformed by developing a new outlook of the world. I learned how the Austrians operate in day to day life as well as their politics and essentially just the way that they do things. I learned that there isn’t just one way to do things and that the United States has a lot of policies and systems that could use revamping.

1. What events, interactions, relationships, or activities during your STEP Signature Project led to the change/transformation that you discussed in #2, and how did those affect you? Write three or four paragraphs describing the key aspects of your experiences completing your STEP Signature Project that led to this change/transformation.

My ability to be self-sufficient/ confident as well as my improved world view came from a variety of experiences during my trip. The whole experience of studying abroad in another country lends to the development of all of these traits. Living on your own in a country where they don’t speak the same language with very few Americans around makes you have to develop these traits fast. I had to navigate multiple foreign countries all on my own. I had to ask for directions, order food, meet new people, all in a place that is totally different from what I knew. All of these instances helped develop an air of confidence. After accomplishing all of these feats I knew any simple interaction wasn’t hard, and traveling was easy, and since I was able to do all of these tasks, I knew I could do anything.

Besides confidence, I learned a lot of my new world view from learning about Austrian culture through my culture class that I took. We learned all about Austrian history, politics, governmental systems, sports, music, really everything, and we discussed in depth the cultural differences between the united states and Austria as well. This really opened my eyes to new ideas and different approaches to everyday life. There are more efficient and better ways to do things than what we have in America, we are not a perfect country that everyone seems to believe.

One example that I found fascinating is the Austrian prison system compared to the united states. The Austrian prison system helps rehabilitate the prisoners and makes each prisoner leave with a new job. This just shows how there are other approaches to everything and the United States needs to be able to learn from other nations across the pond and not think that it’s their way or the highway.

All in all, my experiences on my own in another country and my classes really transformed my outlook on life and the world.

1. Why is this change/transformation significant or valuable for your life? Write one or two paragraphs discussing why this change or development matters and/or relates to your academic, personal, and/or professional goals and future plans.

This project has allowed for changes in my confidence, ability to be on my own, and even my language skills. These positive changes are very significant and valuable in my life because of how these skills are applicable in all areas of my life. In my academics and professional spheres, my ability to speak German more fluently will have a large impact. I will be able to do better in my German classes, as well as be able to use my German as a part of a potential career one day. Confidence and self-sufficiency are skills that can be applied to all aspects of life. Whether that is with social interactions, at job interviews, or just living without your parents, these two skills are very valuable.