STEP

Second Year Transformational Experience Program (also known as STEP) at Ohio State is a program for second year’s living on campus or in an approved greek facility.

Ohio State’s Second-year Transformational Experience Program (STEP) was developed as a continuation of the university’s effort to redefine the student experience. Before STEP was implemented, The Ohio State University commissioned a study to identify the predictors of second-year student success and they were found to be:

• Participation in campus events
  • Living on campus
  • Peer interaction
  • Interaction with faculty
  • Institutional Commitment

STEP provides all of these to me. At first, I was apprehensive due to the time commitment to join STEP, however, I am so glad I decided to do so. I have found that STEP has provided me the opportunity to prepare myself to be an upperclassman in college.  As terrifying as this might sound, I have been equipped with more resources, connections, and knowledge moving forward.

One of my favorite parts of STEP is the signature project that follows the program. Following my recent change to Civil Engineering, I decided I wanted to gear my project towards outreach in Civil Engineering.  Because of this, I found multiple service-learning opportunities internationally that sounded very interesting to me. I plan to use my grant from STEP to travel overseas to put my civil engineering education and experience to a good cause.