Tunnel Book & Zines by Sunmeet Gill

A wide range of literary and artistic influences converge in this stunning selection of zines from Sunmeet Gill. An accessible, community-focused artifact, the zine is not without its own troubled history. Sunmeet explains this history and how it has informed her work:

Zines are miniature self-published work formatted as a magazine or graphic novel. They are popularly photocopied and circulated. I chose zines as my creative medium because I was inspired by the stories of condemned prisoners’ which were sold as pamphlets on the day of their executions. The execution pamphlets were discussed during the Restoration period in relation to novels such as Daniel Defoe’s Moll Flanders, a criminal narrative that acts as a cautionary tale.

The line work in the zines is influenced by Aubrey Beardsley, “The Cave of Spleen” (1896) discussed during the Renaissance portion of the course. I’ve tried my best to translate Beardsley’s elegant linear style into my own black ink drawings. While Beardsley was inspired by Japanese woodcut, I was inspired by Japanese manga.

Aubrey Beardsley, “The Cave of Spleen” (c) Royal Academy of Arts
Selection of zines by Sunmeet.

We hope you will enjoy Sunmeet’s artistic skill and creative energy as much as we did! (One zine even features Luna, the beloved house rabbit who has regularly made guest appearances in Prof. Winstead’s lecture videos!) We are pleased to included her commentary on these beautiful pieces as you browse these fascinating re-imaginations of premodern text.

Sunmeet Gill is a third-year English major with a concentration in Literature, Film and Popular Culture. Her future aspirations change day by day, today she wants to write her own fantasy series, tomorrow she’ll probably want to open up her own book cafe in Europe. She has found fulfillment in creating ever since she was five and drawing on paper bags at her parents’ gas station.