Exercise – Initials and Space

Instruction

Using positive and negative space, create your own initials and have them reflect something personal about yourself.

Purpose

Understand positive and negative space, further explore gestalt principles.

My Interpretation

I wanted to utilize all three of my initials (MAJ) because they fit well together and can create a lot of unique shapes. I started with a theatre setup, the M being the proscenium, the A being the lights, and the J being the stage and backstage. I also included an iteration where a backstage box is the tittle of the J, further lowing the backstage theme. I also explored musical interactions, fitting MAJ within a music staff and simply MJ in music notes. Still unsatisfied, I simplified the entire project and tried fitting the letters within each other in negative space, but I was still disinterested. Finally, I decided on recreating my initials in a form of my face. I wanted to highlight my hair and my piercings as I connect very strongly with them. The M is the widows peak of the hairline, the A is the nose, and the J is the jaw line. This iterations also uses the most gestalt principles, using closure to complete the face, similarity in the piercing shapes, and simple positive and negative space.