Posts

Gifting Design – Recipient Response – Project Three (2310)

Instruction

Give the gift and record the recipient opening it.

Purpose

Document the process and the gift-opening for proof.

My Interpretation

I drove down to Columbus from Cleveland to hand off (not literally, we he picked it up after I set it down, social distancing and all that) the gift directly to Rhys. I informed him to take a video as he opened the gift, and his wife recorded him as he opened it. I had to run home immediately after as I had a class and needed to make the drive.

Gifting Design – Refine and Test Giving Gift – Project Three (2130)

Instruction

Mock opening your gift with another member of the class. Refine the process.

Purpose

Get an outside perspective on your progress and see what needs to be refined from presentation to the gift opening process. Have both the physical and digital aspects analyzed and critiqued. Refine and improve all aspects.

My Interpretation

I “gave” my gift to Shaylee, a member in my group. I was unable to give my gift to her physically for obvious reasons, so we stuck to a digital format and showing off the physical form through video calls. I shared with her the digital aspect of my project, the site I created with the photos I edited to make them seem like they were displayed in a white museum gallery. Shaylee helped me refine the site that the figurines were displayed, streamlining the process and making it easier to access. We also talked about changing descriptions as well. Additionally, I showed her how the gift would open and be presented and we refined that process as well. Finally, I also allowed my sister to open the gift, giving her free reign of the project with little instruction. She figured out how to open it with ease, and understood the gift being the figurines. The way to get to the digital aspect will be via QR code on the back of the theatre.

Analogue Game Design – Draft – Project Three (2330)

Game Design Document Draft

Instruction

Create a draft of the game design document.

Purpose

Practice using the outline for the final submission. Get a style and basis of what to write down. Understand what each section means.

My Interpretation

I decided to theme my game design document to reflect the look of my whole game. It is grungy and dirty and faded and sharp. The theme rings through the document, not only making it more interesting to read, but committing to the Romanesque style that was originally the inspiration for this project.

Gifting Design – Gift-box Final Form – Project Three (2130)

Instruction

Create the gifting form that will be the outside box to open before the gift is revealed.

Purpose

Allow the design to transcended the gift itself and also include the box. What is something someone may want to keep? What does it mean to deliver a gift in a more extravagant way?

My Interpretation

Continuing the theme of Marcel Marceau and his mime career, I decided to make the gift-box reflect the silhouette of a traditional French theatrical stage. As is the case for mime performance, the environment is designed to be extremely minimal, all focus being emphasized towards the actor performing and how they convey character and story through their movement. To reflect this, I made the entire stage, inside and out, black to abstractly convey the idea that the lights are off and you are watching a performance. The sixteen holes on the stage are the locations of where the sixteen figurines will rest, four of them in front of the curtain as the stage is intended to be used curtain up and down. Any figure can rest in any hole, in any order. there is no correct way to organize the figurines. The curtain itself is fully functional and rises and falls with a simple mechanic on the side that can be rotated to simulate it’s movement.

Analogue Game Design – Various Card Types – Project Three (2330)

Instruction

Create visuals for your game design concept.

Purpose

Allow others to view and understand your concept more thoroughly through visual aids and guides.

My Interpretation

These are the bulk of the game, the cards. These will be drawn and have various effects and change the dynamic of the game. Item cards (the golden one) can be collected and kept to ward off harmful check cards (the red one). Most cards are event cards (the gray one), simply giving you an option of two choices, the net difference being the same. Some of these event cards are positive, but most are not.

Gifting Design – Wire Forms and Final Clay Test – Project Three (2130)

Instruction

Continue work on the physical portion of your gifting design project.

Purpose

Work towards the final deliverable.

My Interpretation

I created all sixteen conventions of character in wire forms and tested out how the final forms will look with clay. I plan to use different shades of yellow, red, and blue to accompany each form. The more intense and dark the color, the more it represents the overarching feeling. Yellow figures symbolize different aspects of hope. Blue figures symbolize different aspects of sadness. Red figures symbolize different aspects of ignorance. The light pink form here is Pride, the least ignorant of the red figure series (each series is lined in rows, the top being yellow, the middle being red, and the bottom being blue).

Analogue Gift Design – Stat Cards – Project Three (2330)

Instruction

Purpose

My Interpretation

I decided to start my visuals by creating my stats card first. The game will focus on resource management and balancing these stats to stay alive in-game. If any reticle (not pictured in the current stats card designs) reaches zero, the game ends. Each stats card is a different character, all of them boasting different advantages and disadvantages.

Gifting Design – Marcel Marceau’s Convention Sketches – Project Three (2130)

Instruction

Continue progress on the gifting design project.

Purpose

Keep on top of things and continue updating and streamilining your process.

My Interpretation

I wanted to define the sixteen conventions more clearly to aid with the online integration of my gift. I simply drew the poses in a more easy-to-see way and accompanied them with small details about the form all the while researching them and taking personal notes to use for the site to accompany the gift.