Exercise – Mood Swings

Instruction

With the same deforestation scene, use different angles and cinematographic tricks to create a feeling of guilt and disgust, weakness and fragility, and power and resilience.

Purpose

Explore usage of angles and how the impact mood and feeling. Hone into these feelings and explore how the change feelings and emotions associated with what you are looking at. Explore high and low angles.

My Interpretation

I decided to create a scene of the edge of deforestation, a contrast of lush forest and cut stumps among a singular bulldozer. For guilt and sights I wanted to emphasize and compare the slow death of a forest to a spreading plague from a high, brid’s-eye view, full trees replaced with empty circular stumps. Next, for weakness and fragility I went with a worm’s-eye angle, showing how weak and defenseless an already destroyed tree can be in front of a brooding metal beast. Finally, for power and resilience I went back to a higher angle to show the once-huge bulldozer as a smaller, almost ineffective force among the overbearing treetops.