Mentor/Mentee First-Semester Interview

Name: Alexis Lam        Major: Neuroscience Pre-med

Questions:

1. How do you like to study? Have you found a good place for studying on campus?
  2. What kind of involvement are you interested in?
  3. Why did you choose ACES?
  4. What do you plan to do with your major after graduation? Graduate or professional school? Enter the workforce?
  5. How will you balance academics and involvement?

My mentee for ACES for my second year portfolio assignment is Alexis Lam. She is a spunky, fun young woman, from near Cincinnati Ohio, who has a lot of enthusiasm for volunteering and medicine. Alexis is a first year Neuroscience pre-med student.  She enjoys studying alone in a quiet area, especially in classrooms with chalkboards to write all her notes on and to get the thoughts organized outside of her head. She says that she is still trying to find the perfect study spot on campus and one of her harder classes is General Chemistry.  She is interested in more volunteering opportunities on campus and is currently involved in a medical club and two cultural clubs, HOSA (Future Health Professionals), VSA (Vietnamese student association) at Ohio State and APIDA (Asian pacific Islander Desi American.) She did a lot of volunteering in high school, including a peer counseling position. With all these extracurricular activities and a hard major, Alexis has devised a plan to balance her academics and involvement throughout the year.  She has a daily planner to keep track of homework, and she has a monthly calendar to write down every event that is happening during the month and to stay on top of things.

Alexis choose ACES because of the volunteering opportunities that ACES gives its’ scholars and she joined because ACES does a lot of events with younger children, which is the audience she plans to work with when she graduates. She looks forward to these opportunities working with children through ACES.  After graduation, Alexis wants to go to medical school.  She is not sure if she wants to go to Ohio State medical school, and is torn between in state and out of state schools. While in medical school, Alexis wants to focus on pediatric neurology and working with children.

Using this information, I am able to better mentor her throughout this year.  As a fellow Neuroscience major, I understand how hard the major and science classes can be.  I plan on helping her study and give advice every chance that I can.  I can also be there as a friend and be there for her if things ever get tough, mentally and emotionally.  I have been through my first year and, armed with that knowledge, I can talk to her and help her in any way that she may need.  I am very excited to have Alexis as my mentee this year, and I cannot wait for future encounters.