- M.A. Psychology, Ohio State University, 2019
- M.A. Experimental Psychology, James Madison University, 2017
- B.A. Psychology, Ball State University, 2014
My current research looks at the mechanisms underlying auditory selective attention and factors driving individual differences in those mechanisms, such as working memory. I am also interested in the influence of musical training on various perceptual and cognitive processes, and is working on developing new tools to measure musical experience. Outside of the lab, I love trying new recipes, exploring new places, and playing embarrassingly old video games.
- M.A. Psychology, Ohio State University, 2018
- B.A. Psychology, Georgia State University, 2014
I am interested in speech perception and language understanding, as well as the commonalities in musical processing. In the past I have worked on understanding the mechanisms of transfer effects between music and language experts. My current research focuses on the perceptual organization of speech: how we use the acoustic, phonetic, and grouping cues in the signal to organize the continuous information into words and phrases. I am also interested in the mechanisms involved in processing speech compared to nonspeech. Outside of the lab, I enjoy reading fiction novels, playing board games, and coloring. I am also learning how to play the guitar.
- M.A. Psychology, Ohio State University, 2015
- B.A. Psychology & Music, Luther College, 2013
My dissertation research investigates neuroplasticity during deafness and its relationship to speech perception abilities in adults receiving cochlear implants. I am also interested in the integration of auditory and visual speech signals in face-to-face communication, and the neural underpinnings of audiovisual integration in individuals with hearing loss versus those with normal hearing. My work utilizes both behavioral and EEG techniques. I enjoy playing oboe and English horn around Columbus in my free time, and I also love traveling and baking treats for the lab.
- B.S. Data Analytics & Psychology, expected 2021
- B.S. Psychology, expected 2022
Zhixin (Annie) Zhou
- B.A. Psychology (minor: Comparative Studies), expected 2022
Lisa Contos Shoaf
Katherine Love Smith