Moss Overload

I feel like visiting Stourhead is a right of passage for us landscape architects. It is a truly unique example of life imitating art and of course an overall breath taking view from all angles. Being me, I always tend to gravitate towards the smaller things that make up the larger whole and at Stourhead, there was no shortage of moss covering the different fabrics of the landscape. The bright green clumps, once food for dinosaurs, has now canvased these damp and shady environments on a massively intriguing scale.

Tree base at Stourhead covered in Stegosaurus food.

On almost every tree, you could see the army of bright green soldiers slowly leeching its way over the knees and up the base. Pushing your hands down onto it and feeling the soft complexion of what lies at the surface and below is like pushing on a pillow. The moss makes all the difference in that it is a high contrast addition to what inhabits its surroundings.

Oculus inside the grotto at Stourhead.

Small Moss Covered Grottos

Stairs leading through small moss covered grottos

Larger grotto covered in moss with a bench.

Rocks, they are already a cool rustic structural part of Stourhead. Used to form all of the grottos and cave like formations, which in return create these microclimates perfect for sustaining our little green friend. The moss all over these rocks are in combination with other creeping ground cover species that only add more detail to the contrast between the stone and the moss, now there are darker green plants to further establish the explicit call out of the moss.

One of many signs at Stourhead making sure we take care of ourselves.

2 thoughts on “Moss Overload

1. Blake, you have an amazing way with words and I love your perspective on Stourhead, this post instantly made me think about the way moss feels in a very pleasant light and not damp and mushy like it normally is. I am also a fan of small moments that happen in large places, and the worlds they create in our imagination, like a time of dinosaurs! Your photos are also a great reminder of this beautiful landscape and its ability to create a picturesque wonder. However, I just have one question, because I know you’re good with direction, if it’s cloudy and moss is all over the trees, which way is north?

2. I thought that your take on Stourhead was very interesting and far from how most people would probably view the landscape. It’s easy to get caught up in the picturesque and framed views that make it an “ideal” landscape, but you took time to investigate all of the small parts that make it the great space that it is. I also thought that the moss helped to achieve the effect that the creator wanted to portray. All of the moss covered grottos seems as if they have been there for hundreds of years slowly decaying and being consumed by the landscape around them. I loved your picture of steps because moments like that force you to slow down and admire the small details that are everywhere.