Why do these people seem to have so much influence?

Today we went to Westminster Abbey in London. One of the things that i could help but feel is why does the British people give these people (royals) so much credit. I get the idea of the theater of it all and just pure tradition however it just seems so bizarre to me. I will saw I probably have my own biases because I’m American, but to me these people seem like just bonfires celebrities. The idea that in some way people pay in taxes for these people in some way just sits weird with me. Also these idea they can cause and create so much attention is just very bizarre to me. Also today’s I visited the Victoria and Albert museum , to me this and the British museums are very similar in the exhibits shown however the Victoria ones were more interactive. What I found interesting today was this idea of these museums siting within everyday life. Like for example, we have Cosi in Columbus, a paid museum, in the city which is presented with a more hierarchical positioning in its site. With this museum, it blends into the site of the city generally and is free to all. I just thought it was something interesting to note about the our city and London’s .