My First Days in London!

Having experienced so much within a few days, I can’t just pick one favorite place I’ve been to. Walking through Barbican and experiencing the brutalist architecture was very interesting to me. I always thought brutalist architecture was harsh and ugly (oops). However, walking through Barbican really made me appreciate the simplicity behind the structures. My favorite parts were definitely the green spaces and water features. I also really liked the lecture before hand. I thought it prepared me to admire the meaning of the structures before I walked through the scene again. Understanding why a designer used a different texture of cement helped me notice more details.

Barbican Apartments With Greens!

I also really enjoyed Saint Paul’s Cathedral. This cathedral, along with Salisbury cathedral, was on the top of my list and it definitely lived up to it’s expectations. Comparing the surrounding architecture to this cathedral is like trying to compare the size of the moon to the Earth. It was massive and impressive. I felt tiny walking inside and I felt like I was flying when I went to the top of the dome. The details inside of the building were amazing as well. My favorite part of the inside was the quire. I really like the contrast of the dark wood with the gold everywhere else.

Interior of Saint Paul’s Cathedral.

Another fun moment I experienced was sliding down the Twizzler at the Olympic Park. It was funny that we had to use the helmets and arm pads but I had a lot of fun going down the slide.

The Twizzler!

Kamilla Wieckowski

One thought on “My First Days in London!

1. Kamilla, I agree with you on brutalist architecture is not very pretty and can be so boring sometimes. I was so shocked that it can be so pretty and interesting. I also agree on the lecture, it gave me so many information to know about brutalist architecture. It was a great place for pictures as well!!
    I had to agree with you as well on St. Paul’s. It’s been my favorite place ever. I loved everything about it, and j was shocked of how big it is, it looked way smaller in pictures. The inside details is amazing and it’s worthy visiting more than one time, just to admire the architecture and the beauty of it. And as you already know from my “screaming” that I enjoyed the Twizzler so much.