Montel’s Blog Post 1

We’ve made it to London! There is so much new to offer culturally and societally. Many of the museums offer a deeper look into history than some of the same in the states, even though we share some of the same history. Visiting the British Museum on day two was a strand and overwhelming experience. The building offers such a majestic canvas to house artifacts, however the content dissolves from British history drastically. Many objects and artifacts weren’t originally in British possession, a double edged sword; many unanswered questions about how they were obtained but the preservation is impeccable for how old they are.

Statue of King from a tomb in Egypt.

Some of the displays did bother me because they showed pictures of how the artifact would be originally displayed in its original location. As I walked around I wondered if that were from my culture how would I feel seeing bits and pieces in a glass box. Regardless, the collection was extensive, and I’d say one of the most complete I’ve seen from a museum about world history. I might check it back out later on the trip. It would be well worth the time to see some of the exhibits.

Caryatid from the Erechtheum.

Sarcophagi from Egypt