Blog 1 (B)

For our first day it was great to kick it off with a visit to St. Paul’s Cathedral. While here, to witness the architecture of Christopher Wren was breathtaking above the ground, however during exploring the entire site I ventured down to the crypt and found some equally inspiring architectural moments I wished to sketch. In this sketch I wished to capture 2 key elements. First, the vaulting structure of the supporting ceiling captured my attention. The way in which the vault itself meets the elements of the column displays an interesting juxtaposition from a streamlined architectural support system into a detailed one. Second, the shadows created by the light in the crypt I personally found to be extremely beautiful. Practicing shadowing in sketches is a keen interest of mine and I hoped this sketch would provide the opportunity to further explore and perfect my technique.

Specifically the area sketched in question was the central space in front of the back chapel altar

One thought on “Blog 1 (B)

1. It was nice to see your sketch of the crypt Carrick! The sketch looks really good and I love the shading the you incorporated. I am glad that you wrote about the crypt because I never got a chance to venture down before it closed. Seeing this sketch, I get a feel of what it was like down in the different architecture. The shading also provides a new layer of depth and really emphasizes how deep the crypt seems to be. You can tell from your sketch how bulky the structure of the cathedral really is and I appreciate the emphasis on that present in your sketch.