A Dreary (At Times!) and Colorful City

Dear London,

The sun can stay, but please keep away the rain.

The past two days have been jam packed with all kinds of sights and experiences. From Greenwich to Tower Bridge, St. Paul’s to Tate Modern, the London Eye to the Tube, an outdoor market to tea at the National Gallery, the past two days have been nothing short of incredible. Coming into the trip, there was anticipation of less desirable weather with colder temperatures and rain, but nothing could have truly prepared me for the downpour during the walking tour. Watching the sun disappear behind a wall of clouds was certainly a bummer. But, despite small spurts of inclement weather, it has been a joy to get out and explore the city. On Saturday, our group took the time to visit Barbican. I was deeply intrigued by Barbican as it was a planned development. Although I may not love the style of architecture, I can definitely appreciate the intent and desire behind its beginnings. It was the most confusing place though, so I do not understand what the intention may have been by making it so convoluted. Further, as it is a brutalist style of architecture, there is lots of concrete involved in its construction. The concrete gives it a strength and formidability, but, it also results in a bland and dull place. Fortunately, many green spaces and water features were planned into the space which I found to be refreshing. Along all the balconies were planters filled with flowers and other greens that really helped breathe life into the space and added color in a relatively colorless space. In warmer weather, I could definitely see how those spaces would also serve as places for residents to gather as a third place away from home and work. Color has played a very interesting role in the city as it draws people’s attention and highlights London landmarks. Although the sky may have been more dreary and dark during our time spent near Tower Bridge, the brilliant blue combined with its incredible detail, size, and location make it stand out nonetheless. Similarly, the Twizzler in Olympic Park is impossible to miss with its bright red structure that towers above the ground. Lastly, even the use stations contain all kinds of color. The Tottenham Court Road station has beautiful mosaics in the wall made of all shades of tile. The color brings a point of joy and expression to an otherwise darker feeling space so far underground. As the week progresses, I look forward to other sites where I may see brilliant colors such as Kew Gardens.

Courtyard within the greater Barbican complex.

Tower Bridge on Sunday, March 9

The “Twizzler” at Olympic Park

A mosaic wall on the platform for the Tube at Tottenham Court Road station