Blake Bordner Pre-Departure

Hello All,

First off, I want to start by saying I am very excited to get to experience this study abroad with all of you. It is quite literally icing on the cake for me as a graduating senior. I originally scheduled for this abroad trip because I have not taken an architecture class since I took 2300 with Aimee and I have always had interests on both sides of the fence with a little less of a technical background on the subject of architecture. So, my visit to London is more of an experience I am hoping will make me ask myself questions on how the merging of green spaces and architecture are successful in a heavily urbanized city. Everywhere we go, cities are growing and the demand for green space has taken flight. It is interesting to see the mechanics of how these spaces function in relation to its context and what makes them desirable to inhabit. One good example in London I am mostly excited to explore is Regents Street and the system of green spaces leading to and from the park. I have seen systems like this in New York and Philadelphia, but it will be even more exciting to see them across the pond and be able to compare different styles or methods that aim to accommodate the general public.