Eric’s Pre-Departure Thoughts

Being interested in urban design, I’m most excited to study the dynamic contextual relationships that trace the course of London’s history in real time. From Roman ruins to contemporary high rises, there is a readily observable dichotomy between the here and now, there and then, as well as everything in-between.

I’m also excited to visit post Brexit as shifting cultural and political sentiments challenge the field of architecture. I want to know how people feel about recent occurrences in the UK as well as the United States.

A major reason I wanted to study abroad was to gain a global experience. Being able to sketch, photograph, and fully sense such significant works and how they tie into the city, will undoubtedly broaden my scope and hopefully play a major role in my future work. While in London I plan on investigating brownfield development versus green belt reduction with regards to housing. Rapid urbanization is a global phenomenon and finding solutions that can translate around the world should be imperative to those responsible for the built environment.

Being a truly international city, I’m really looking forward to trying food from as many cultures as possible. Also as a huge football fan, I can’t wait to attend a match during our free day.