Taylor’s Day 3

Hackney empire theater interior

On day 3 of our trip I along with Jaime and Rachel, decided to go see Hamlet put on by the Royal Shakespeare Company. The production was a contemporary twist on a classic which I think was really unique and a great way to add more modern culture but still stay true to the original. It was really interesting that the production wasn’t limited to the stage. They were able to come through the isle and create a 360 degree experience for the audience. I was not familiar with this play of Shakespeare’s but I was still able to understand the plot with the amazing acting and the set and costuming which added to the appeal.
The production took place in the Hackney Empire theater which is right off of the hackney central London overground stop. The theater had a recent renovation which enlarged some of the spaces behind the stage but they were still able to keep the original design and style. Inside the theater was ornate in its detail and the ceiling was beautiful. It was a nice rich red with murals and gold detailing all around. It seemed like a very small intimate space but was able to hold a large audience.