Candice’s Second Day

Today is really tiring. It’s the long walking tour from Tower of London along the south bank to Trafalgra square and through Hyde Park to our Pub for dinner at Bayswater. It is a great walking tour that introduced me to the history or architecture in London. The first building that stroke me is actually the New Court building by OMA. I totally agree that this building is not like typical OMA buildings but I still see a valuable effort of making a frame out of architecture for the arts, the spaces and the landscape (the courtyard with cathedral view) under the canopy. The view beyond, I believe, is picked deliberately. It’s almost present itself as a landscape painting as things comes in layers with unorganized elements. Almost like English romantic gardens. One other thing that I noticed is their treatment to the roof on the underside of the canopy. The Stone veneer is so nicely done that it shows little details about how they come together. Instead of exposing the detail, OMA choose to hide the detail with a careful finish of the surface. It’s quite amazing that this building that we just walked by interested me the most.

View from the outside to the Courtyard