Year in Review

[ “Year in Review”  is where you should reflect on the past year and show how you have evolved as a person and as a student.  You may want to focus on your growth in a particular area (as a leader, scholar, researcher, etc.) or you may want to talk about your overall experience over the past year.  For more information, go to: http://honors-scholars.osu.edu/e-portfolio. Delete these instructions and add your own post.]

My first year at The Ohio State University is surely one to remember! I grew a lot, made some amazing friends, and got myself involved on campus.

I’ve been saying that one of the first and best decisions I made as a freshman in college was to join a student organization called the Society of Woman Engineers, SWE for short. I went to their ice cream social after the Student Involvement Fair and thought to myself “I’m an engineering major and I’m a woman, so why not join?” as I sat through the brief presentation and talked to members of the organization. Since that day, I have only gotten more involved with SWE. I became an active member and regularly went to meetings and events. I joined the Big/Little Mentorship program where I was paired up with a different upperclassman per semester. I went on a leadership retreat with some members of the executive board. I was even elected to an officer position as a Freshman toward the end of the Spring semester. I have gained so much from SWE and am excited to be an officer this year and continue my involvement in the international organization. Below are a few pictures noting some specific opportunities I would not have experienced without SWE.