The goal of the proposed practicum is to assess the feedback we have received and make further revisions to the game. I will also provide Cindy with an additional opportunity to pilot the game with her class and go through another iteration of revisions. The goal is to revise and implement the EBP game with data and previous research in mind.
I will work with Cindy Zellefrow who will advise in the revision and implementation process.
The process will include:
● Revisions. Cindy will advise in assessing the current data collected from previous pilot groups. The game will then undergo edits including, but not limited to, the game structure, language used, scoring, graphics, and embedded media.
● Pilot Implementation. Cindy will assist in implementing the EBP game in her Spring 2019 online course. Implementation will include working with Cindy to distribute and collect assessments, provide students with access to the game, and troubleshooting any technical issues.
● Collecting data. Formative and summative assessments will be distributed to students who play the EBP game. Questionnaires will focus on assessing the learning that is taking place and measuring the learning impact of the game.
● Assessing the data. The data collected may provide insight for further revisions and substantive evidence for the impact of the game.
● Additional Revisions. Cindy will advise in any further revisions to the game given the feedback from the pilot.
The EBP game seeks to add educational value to the EBP teaching and learning process. The following learning objectives outline the outcomes the EBP aim to accomplish. The learning objectives were aligned using Blooms Taxonomy and the Evidence-based Practice Competencies for all practicing nurses and advanced practice nurses (Melnyk et al 2014) that address creating development of PICO(T) questions.
● Identify each of the components of a PICOT (Patient or Problem, Intervention, Comparison Intervention, Outcome, Time) question. (Know)
● Compare and contrast searchable questions to identify well crafted PICOT questions which are needed to execute an effective search in the databases. (Comprehend)
● Formulate searchable clinical questions in PICOT (or similar) format. (Apply)
A goal of this project is to provide the College of Nursing with an example of how gaming technology can enhance teaching and student learning of Evidence Based Practice and PICOT. And to provide Cindy with an opportunity to work with me further on the EBP game for further courses.