We are on the hunt for motivated, graduating high school seniors and current underclassmen in college over the age of 18 by May 1, 2024, to join us for the 2024 OSU Research Internship Program (ORIP) on the CFAES Wooster Campus.
I have attached the ORIP flyer: ORIP Flyer 2024 Final
Applications are due on 2/29/2024. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Please consider taking a few minutes to fill out the Knox County Community Health Assessment.
The 2024 Ohio Military Kids Camp Counselor Application is LIVE!!! Please advertise to your camp counselors if they would like an opportunity to counsel at a statewide level. They DO NOT have to have a military affiliation to apply to be a camp counselor!
CAMP COUNSELOR DATES for 2024:
- Teen Leadership Camp (campers ages 13-17) – June 5 – June 9 with virtual staff training. Counselors must be 18+
- Teen Camp (campers ages 12-15) – July 28 – August 1 with mandatory staff training on July 26-28. Counselors must be 16+
- Youth Camp (campers ages 9-11) – August 4 + August 8 with mandatory staff training on August 2-4. Counselors must be 15+
- In-Person Counselor Training: Thursday, June 13, 2024 in Columbus, OH
OVERVIEW of camp counselor descriptions
- Counselor in Training: Only eligible to counselors at youth camp. You have never been a camp counselor before, but you may have attended OMK Camp Kelleys Island in the past. You will be paired with a returning camp counselor for cabin assignments.
- New Counselor: Eligible for counseling at Youth or Teen Camp, pending your age – must be at least 16 to counsel at Teen Camp. You have never been a counselor for OMK Camp Kelleys Island, but you have experience working with youth in other settings that may include 4-H, scouts, or youth groups.
- Returning Counselor: Eligible for counseling at Teen Leadership Camp, Kelleys Island Youth Camp, or Kelleys Island Teen Camp, pending your age. You have been a counselor for OMK Camp Kelleys Island in the past.
***You do not have to have a military affiliation to apply to be a camp counselor.***
All counselor applications and references can be found at https://go.osu.edu/OMKVolunteer and are due 11:59 pm, Sunday, February 11, 2024. EXTENDED TO 11:59 pm, Wednesday, February 28, 2024
The Ohio Military Kids program has its 2024 Summer Camp dates!
Our camps are available to:
- Any military family is eligible regardless of rank.
- Veteran’s children and families are eligible 12 months past date of separation.
- Any branch and component is welcome.
- Gold Star Families are eligible.
Families can check out when registration opens, subscribe to our blog, and find us on social media all at https://go.osu.edu/OMKEvents.
The 2024 Forestry Wildlife Camp is open to campers in grades 7-11. Registration for camp is due March 28, 2024.
Campers can enjoy wildlife education, fishing, hiking, tree climbing, outdoor survival, ODNR careers & college opportunities, learning about forestry and more!
Scholarships are limited and apply by following this link, by March 1, https://osu.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_ewVWQ5vl9bBvyS2
Apply for the Forestry and Wildlife Camp by putting this link in your browser today! http://go.osu.edu/24ForestryWLCamp
Junior Fair Turkey Orders – Due February 9
Youth exhibitors that who plan on enrolling and exhibiting turkeys at the 2024 Knox County Junior Fair this year, need to order and purchase their poults by February 9. Poults are $6.50 a piece and will be delivered for pick-up on March 6 at the Ramser 4-H Activity Center from 2-5 p.m. To order, please fill out the following survey: https://go.osu.edu/turkeys2024. To purchase, please fill out the following survey: https://square.link/u/KOiqEC7g.
The 2024 4-H Shooting Sports National Quiz Bowl registration portal is now open. Quizzes this year are comprised of 50 new questions for Intermediate/Seniors and 25 new questions for Juniors as a mix of General 4-H, STEM, Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Archery, Hunting Skills and Western Heritage – hosted on a brand new, exciting, hopefully trouble free, platform.
Quiz Bowl registration price is the same as last year, $10 for individuals and $40 for teams. Team members are automatically scored as individuals and receive individual awards/recognition as well as team awards/recognition.
Upon registration you will be provided a link to the study materials and a personal quiz link.
The Quiz may be taken anytime between January 15-19, 2024. You will only have one chance to take the quiz. Quiz scores are based on the number of correct answers and the amount of time remaining in the quiz.
Knox County Junior Leaders (JL) is a great stepping stone for older 4-H youth looking to get involved beyond their local club. Junior Leaders will participate in various meetings, learning opportunities and events while also enjoying the comradery of their peers. The JLs are just as much about connecting and having fun as it is learning life skills. This is great way for youth to “practice” leadership roles before diving into an intense commitment like Junior Fair Board or Camp Counselors. JLs are 4-H members of good standing in 7-12 grade. JL participation looks great on award and ambassador applications for both county and state level. The application link below details more perks of JL membership.
We will be having a winter mixer on Dec 29, 6:00-8:00pm at the Ramser Center. Pizza and board games will be provided for this fun, relaxed meet-and-greet event. Any 4-Her, in grades 7-12, is invited!! Feel free to bring a favorite game with you!
While not required for the meet-and-greet, those interested can go ahead and fill out the application to be a JL using the link below.
Partnering with the library, we will be hosting an informational meeting about the programs available through 4-H and the library for little Lego builders! Programs include Cloverbud Engineering Adventure, the Cloverbud state-wide showcase, and getting involved with the brick building group at the Mt Vernon public library. We encourage youth in grades K-5 to attend with and emphasis on Cloverbuds (grades K-2).