Pierogi Making in Poland

Throughout this trip I was excited to be able to immerse myself in the cultures of several different countries. I got to try their foods, learn their customs and slang, and see all of their different landmarks. In Poland, it was no different. In Poland I was able to try their foods and see historic places that are special to the Poles such as the Wawau Castle. However, the only way to truly immerse yourself in the culture is to meet the people, and that is exactly what I did.
Ten of our group decided to take a pierogi cooking class taught by a Polish grandmother. We made three kinds of pierogi, lamb, cheese, and saurerkraut and cabbage. We started by making the dough. We each took turns kneading the dough and mixing it up. After that, we learned how to fold different kinds of pierogis. I needed a lot of help getting the hang of folding pierogis, but once I got the hang of it I was the best. When creating our pierogis was done our teacher laid out a delicious spread of meats, pickles, breads, and fruits with lentil soup. Finally, the moment we were all waiting for arrived, and we were able to feast on our creations. They were the best pierogis I have ever had. I believe I ate 19 pierogis, and I wanted more but my stomach couldn’t handle it. This experience was one of my favorites on the trip. Everyone had a good time, and we all learned a lot about Polish traditions and food while stuffing our faces with delicious pierogis. I don’t want the trip to end, but I’m very excited to share what I’ve learned about pierogi making with my friends and family and make my own pirogis back in the States.