Seeing London and Sorting it Out

While making my way through the bustling streets of London, I was struck by its eccentric yet calm energy. London is quite a large city, so Londoners are constantly on the move. However, the city never felt daunting or impersonal. England’s national character is polite and stresses tradition. The character of the nation is what made me feel as if I instantly belonged. On my first day in London, I chose to have lunch in a small establishment called Sheila’s Café. The workers and owners of the café were genuinely interested in speaking to be about my travels and encouraged me to explore everything that London has to offer. While traipsing around London, I found the city dwellers to be extremely polite and patient. This politeness gave the city structure, which is not something I am used to in other large cities I have visited. A common sense of helpfulness makes one feel that there is an order to the chaos of London.

“See it, Say it, Sorted” is the phrase announced on every trip on a London Underground train. This announcement asks passengers to look out for one another and report any unusual activity on the trains. “See it, Say it, Sorted” completely embodies the sense of camaraderie felt in the city. It makes apparent the expectation of helping others and stresses common politeness. However, I wondered if this politeness might work against London “Tube” workers as they strike for better conditions. The Elizabeth line workers, in particular, “see” their pay disparity, but when they “say” something to get it “sorted,” politeness becomes a weapon to be used against them. My first thought was ‘how inconvenient for all those passengers.’ This makes change and social justice difficult to achieve in a city like London that emphasizes politeness, camaraderie, and tradition.