Crisis and Character from the Battle of Britain and WWII – London, UK

After a few days in Ireland (Dublin and Galway) and Scotland (Edinburgh and Leith), I began my study abroad trip in London, England. Transitioning from seeing my peers in our seminar and history class to being with them to continue our studies across the world is an educational experience that will be one of my favorite memories from my time at The Ohio State University. Through my site visits and general cultural observations, bolstered by my studies during the spring semester, I noticed consistent themes deriving from the Second World War in the British interpretation of their national identity and history. The themes most prevalent are the mild-tempered composure and resiliency.

The RAF Bomber Command Memorial and St. Paul’s Cathedral are two of the many sites that I visited during my time in London, and I found them to be especially compelling in exemplifying the nation’s interpretation of their history and culture. The RAF Bomber Command Memorial portrayed the airmen who defended London during the Battle of Britain as larger than life, yet also included human characteristics through facial expressions and detailed imperfections. Though god-like in stature, these statues wore forlorn faces and disheveled uniforms. This contrast delivered the perspective that the British, especially those that who risked the most for their country, were heroes for their resiliency and sacrifices, yet these sacrifices and the destruction still hold as real and tragic rather than glorious. St. Paul’s Cathedral has a symbolic standing derived from a famous photograph (attached) in which it stands amidst bombing destruction during the Battle of Britain. The commemoration of a violent war at a serene church represents how ubiquitous the memory of World War II is throughout London.

To reconcile with times of conflict and confusion, nations tend to cling to their identifications to buttress their existence and security. The British cling to their identity of nonchalant and humorous composure, and the stories they tell of both military and civilian resiliency and determination reflect this today. I found these themes to be present throughout London, even where I did not expect it. The Second World War was not only a portion of the past of Britain, but a part of the identification of the people.

RAF Bomber Command Memorial in London, UK

St. Paul’s Cathedral During the Battle of Britain in London, UK

St. Paul’s Cathedral in London, UK

Some comrades and I after climbing the stairs to the top of St. Paul’s Cathedral (left to right: Lindsay Gottlieb, Katie Crum, Kate Greer, Audrey Bagarus, me; photograph by Laura DeAngelis).